Friday, August 3, 2012

Rich Wood

Food is Fuel                                                                         
A Journey Through Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Diabetes and Lifestyle Change

Think about how your relationship with food started.  Did it start off healthy, or unhealthy from the very beginning?  I was raised by a single mom, aunts and grandparents who ate very unhealthy.  Even as a child, everyday I was asked what I had a “taste” for.  I didn’t come home to a prepared meal, they prepared what I asked for – which was never anything healthy.  When my mother picked me up after work, due to time constraints, the obvious choice for dinner would be fast food.  All my meals were then followed by dessert.  This started a cycle of unhealthy choices at an early age.  I was not an over weight kid, but this love affair with bad food would come back to haunt me later in life. 

My goal in writing this is to prompt you to begin to look at why you’re making unhealthy lifestyle choices.  I want to share with you how I made a permanent change by not being afraid to take that first step…into a gym, and into a meeting with a personal  trainer/nutritionist.  What is keeping you from making a healthy lifestyle change?  Are you afraid that you’re going to be judged by all these incredibly “in shape” people?  Are you concerned about the cost?  Are you worried that you physically won’t be able to do the workouts?  Please stay with me through this blog, and I will explain each week how I got over different hurdles, reached new goals, how my goals have changed and how my trainer/nutritionist Debbie Portell and the Powerhouse Gym staff helped me along the way. 

Next week: How the weight gain began…

-Rich Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment