Monday, September 24, 2012

Rich Wood 6


Food is Fuel
A Journey Through Weight Gain, Weight Loss, Diabetes and Lifestyle Change

Fitness, Power, Money and Fear
Is there something that you fear that is keeping you from taking the first steps toward getting healthy?  Are you afraid that you’re not going to be able to do the workouts?  Are you embarrassed that people might stare at you in the gym?  Are you worried that you’re too out of shape and hiding from the fact that you really are?  To solve these problems, go to a gym and speak to a personal trainer.  Do not be afraid.  It took me a little while to get the courage to do this.  I had all of these same fears.  I overcame these fears by knowing that my health needed to become a priority in my life and speaking to a professional would help me.  Once you are involved and starting your workouts, I promise you – you will not even notice anyone else in the gym.  

If you are afraid to go into the gym by yourself because you don’t know how to work the machines or don’t know where to start with your workouts – schedule a session with a trainer and all of that stress will be alleviated.  They’re going to do the thinking for you – you have to do the work.  The power of the human mind is amazing.  Once you overcome the initial fear of just getting up and deciding to get started, you can turn yourself into an unstoppable machine.  Just think, if you have a lot of stress in your life, what better way to relieve it then to be able to go to the gym and hit a tire with a sledgehammer?   You have the power inside of you to make the changes that you want and need to make.  

 Think of all the things that you have no problem spending money on.  Are any of those things health related?  I spend a lot of money on personal training.  Can you think of a better way to spend your money than on your own health?  How much do you currently spend destroying your health?  If this is one of the hurdles that is keeping you from beginning, start taking a hard look at how and what you are wasting money on.  Training has many options on how to pay for it, and I promise you – you can find a way to make this happen.  Please think about what will motivate you to start making healthy choices and make this happen.  It can be as simple as “I would love to have a new wardrobe.”  There was a time that if I saw a shirt that I liked, and it wasn’t a 3XL, I couldn’t get it.  Now I’m able to purchase any clothes that I want.  Stop spending money on the things that are making you unhappy with your current body; be it bad food, or clothes that hide the body that you’re in.  Use this money for your first personal training session. 
Money will not be the determining factor for my success.

Please don’t think that any of this is going to be easy…but it’s worth it.  The time, money and effort that I put in to my training are not just me throwing weights around the gym.  I’m paying for the knowledge of my trainers to help me get the results I want.  I’m lucky to be surrounded by people that care, and if they didn’t I would find and pay people that did.  I’m not just talking about the physical results.  This has changed the person that I am.  It has made me happier, and my life better for me and my family. 

There is no reason as you get older to stop challenging yourself.  Defy your age.  Be focused, be humble, be strong.  During this process you may have setbacks.  That is why you need a support system around you to help you through those times.  You are paying for a service.  Know that there are people that want to help you succeed and reach your goals.  Debbie Portell is always there for me when I feel like I’m losing my way.  She lets me know that my goals and health are a priority to her.  This extends far beyond the hour that we are together in the gym. She is a text away when I am struggling.  I don’t know if all trainers are like her, but I feel very lucky to have the support system that I do.

I would like to thank all the people that have reached out to me because of this blog.  Your kind words and thoughts are extremely humbling.  For those who have asked for my help in starting to achieve their own goals – thank you so much.  Just by asking questions you are heading in the right direction.  Stay with me on this journey, I will eventually get into what my actual diet is, what my workouts consist of, and how I come up with new ways to constantly challenge myself – like starting jiu jitsu at the age of 46. 


Food for Thought:  “Always do what you are afraid to do.”

-Rich Wood

No comments:

Post a Comment